Thursday, February 15, 2007

Podcasts, Video, and Downloadable Audio

20.1 I love YouTube! Whenever I want an '80's" fix, I log on and watch music videos that I used to watch when I was a kid. I also like all the Harry Potter spoofs: puppet shows, fan-made trailers, and funny shorts.

20.2 Yes, there are quite a few applications that can be used in the library. One I can think of would be related to Reading Readiness, a preschool reading program, which Nora Conte supported. Not only would the children and parents present at the classes benefit, but also customers on the Web. This could be a form of distance learning that libraries have not had the resources to support. These classes would either benefit staff with training or with the public, who could view classes they missed or cannot attend.

21.1-3 Wow, one podcaster I immediately noticed was Sunnyvale Public Library! They have some community information shows, buy my interest was piqued by the Podcast for Storytime Pre-Walkers! Wow, that is really a super way to get the public interested in storytimes!

I do enjoy podcasts on one of my favorite websites, Mugglenet.com. Every week, the staff discuss theories and life in general.

22.1-2 It seems that a lot of e-books are non-fiction on our website. The Project Gutenberg is fantastic! It looks like being a proofreader is a wonderful way to donate one's time!

23.1 I really liked all the possible usages of wikis. There is a lot of possible collaborations that can be made in this area! Its very exciting.

23.2-3 I finished Library School about five plus years ago and there are so many new technologies out there! It makes me realize that I must not fall behind in learning new technological advances. Learning 2.0 has just given me a snippet of what I am missing!

23.4 I think the most important change to address was in the RSS-Newsfeed exercise in Week 4. I think tackling the search tools in Exercise 9 should be done before adding the 10 RSS feeds in Exercise 8. If I had looked at #9 first, I would have had an easier time finding the 10 RSS feeds. Otherwise, I loved this exercise and would like to see future exercises that expose us to new (and free!) technologies!

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Congratulations on finishing the 23 things!